When the weather is warming up and that means it’s time to get outside and enjoy it.
You can enjoy it even more by choosing to hike through one of these eleven great places in Illinois that are short and easy.
Only in your state revealed a list of eleven great place to hike right here in Illinois and the cool thing is all of these places are within an hour to two hours drive from Rockford.
I got excited looking at the list because I’ve hiked and been to six of the eleven listed and they are all fabulous. Gorgeous scenery and just peaceful.
I’m looking forward to visiting the other five on the list.
So if you’re looking for something fun to do with the family all while getting some fresh air an exercise, then check these out.
1. Starved Rock State Park- 2668 E 875th Rd, Oglesby, IL 61348. Every summer when visiting my parents time share on the Fox River, I visit Starved Rock to go hiking.
2. Garden of the Gods – Herod, IL 62947. My family camped near here several years ago it was a gorgeous park.
3. Illinois Beach State Park – 1 Lakefront Drive, Zion, IL 60099. Funny I’ve been to Zion for various things and never have gone to this park. Well that’s going to change.
4. Matthiessen State Park – IL-178, North Utica, IL 61373. Oh this place is fantastic too and I’ve hiked here as well as Starved Rock when staying at my parent’s timeshare. On a side not after hiking through Matthiessen or Starved Rock you must make a stop at The root Beer Stand in Oglesby for their homemade root beer and root beer floats. So tasty!
5. Lowden State Park – 1411 N River Rd, Oregon, IL 61061. Ok, who of you has not been here? This is a must to hike every spring, summer and fall. I can’t count how many times I’ve done it. So pretty along the Rock River. Also, make sure to stop at Jay’s Drive-In for some ice cream afterwards on Route 64.
6. Hennepin Canal – 16006 E. Street, Sheffield, IL 61361. I’ve heard of this place but have never been.
7. Mississippi Palisades Park – 16327A IL-84, Savanna, IL 61074. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here. I guess it’s time to go back and re-visit it.
8. Castle Rock State Park – 1365 W Castle Rd, Oregon, IL 61061. Well, if you visit Lowden State Park you’ve got to stop here too. I have. AND..again this calls for a refreshing treat at Jay’s Drive-In as well.
9. Lake Le-Aqua-Na – 8542 N Lake Rd, Lena, IL 61048. Honestly, I’ve never been here. I didn’t know this was in Lena. Hmm, yep time to check it out.
10. Tunnel Hill State Park – Vienna, IL. Hmmm, here’s another one I didn’t know about.
11. Ferne Clyffe State Park – Goreville, IL 62939. Yep, never knew about this place either.
Are you ready? Let's go!
Comments will be approved before showing up.